Mexican buns are many people's favorite me included. It consists of sweet dough, filling and topping. The recipe here is a very easy one. The topping can be made a day before and kept in the refrigerator.
600gm bread flour
15gm instant active dry yeast
210gm of cold water
12gm of milk powder
6gm of salt
120gm of sugar
75gm of egg (cold)
75gm of unsalted butter (omit the salt if using salted butter/margerine)
75gm of whipping cream (i used milk 50gm + 25gm melted butter)
- Mix flour and yeast with dough hook for 30 seconds. Add all dry ingredients and mix for 30seconds on slow speed.
- Add water, eggs & cream and continue on slow speed for 1 minute. Increase to medium speed for 3 minutes and slowly add in the butter.
- Continue for 10 minutes until dough is elastic
- Ferment dough for 1hour (punch down after 30 minutes)
- Divide dough into 50gms balls and rest for 10 minutes. Then flatten the dough and place a cube of butter and seal it up.
- Prove for 45 minutes or more. Pipe the topping and bake for 12 - 15 minutes at 190'C
200gm of butter
250gm of sugar (I used 220gm)
250gm of eggs
5gm instant coffee
10gm coffee emulco (I omitted this and used 15gm instant coffee)
120gm of sugar
300gm all purpose flour
· Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
· Dissolve instant coffee in eggs and add slowly on medium speed. Scrape down the sides
· Add coffee emulco. Continue for 1 minute and add flour and mix till well blended.