Welcome . . .

Welcome to Buttermilk Bakers

Buttermilk Bakers’s cakes, cookies and pastry are bake to order. We are based at Desa Pandan and we provide delectable homemade products for birthdays, tea-parties, gifts, anniversary or for no reason at all!. Why not choose Buttermilk Bakers to help celebrate any occasion.

We also have a variety of VEGETARIAN products. Look out for the (V) sign.

SUGAR FREE product is also available. We use Stevia, a natural sweetener to replace the sugar in our baked goods.

Click on the product in the yellow bar to see what we have to offer.

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Roselle Coconut Cake

Few weeks back my mum bought me some Roselle. I normally make Roselle drink out of it, but this time round I made the juice and also saved some for an experiment. I cut up the calyces into 1cm pieces and stored it in the freezer till I have the time.

On the day I plan to use it, I took out the frozen roselle and left it out to de-froze. Then I rinse it twice with water which causes the red coloring to flow.

I used a basic butter cake recipe to experiment. Everything was fine until I added in the roselle calyces. The batter turned a bluish grey clay color (as you can see). It looks really yucky! But I still placed it in the oven to bake and voila….. the cake is beautiful. The pigment present in roselle, reacts according to Ph which is what causes the bluish grey color. It turns blue when exposed to alkaline conditions.



The cake itself is flavorful with a little tart taste. Its something different I would say. Here is the recipe:

225gm butter
130gm brown sugar
250gm self rising flour
4 eggs
1–1.5 cup roselle calyx cut into small pcs
80gm of dried / fresh coconut
6tbs of water / milk
1tsp vanilla essence

  • v  Pre heat oven to 180’C. Grease an  8’ inch cake tin
  • v  Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add in vanilla essence
  • v  Add in the eggs one at a time while adding a little flour after each eggs.
  • v  Add in the rest of the flour
  • v  Add in the coconut and roselle.
  • v  Transfer batter to cake tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment